Skip to main content

Artist Lecture With Scott Schnepf

Image result for scott schnepf
Scott Schnepf
Retired UNH Professor- 2015
Four Decades of Printmaking
I attended the artist lecture by Scott Schnepf on November 28th. Schnepf is a retired UNH professor who taught drawing, painting, and printmaking for thirty-four years. Two of his biggest influencers are past professors from his college years, Carl Grupp from Augustana College and James Munce from Kansas State University. He's most known for his series of prints. However, Schnepf believes that his other mediums have largely influenced his printmaking. He has multiple techniques that he uses to create complex arrays of still life prints. The three printing techniques he uses is etching, mezzotint, and engraving. Etching is a technique where the copper is covered with an acid resist and then an image is etched on the plate. It is then put into an acid bath with uncovers the image that can then be printed. Mezzotint involves roughing the service of a copper plate to create areas of light and dark. Engraving involves cutting directly into a piece of copper and inking the slab that can be printed onto paper. Unlike photography, printmaking is extremely time consuming. However, similarly with both printmaking and photography you can make multiple prints from the original work. One thing that resonated with me was Schnepf's view on landscapes. He said he often gets overwhelmed by landscapes. I prefer to shoot macro photography because full scale images often look too complicated and busy to me. Also just like Schnepf, I have formed my artistic style by experimenting with other mediums, like drawing. I really enjoyed this artistic lecture. I think it was very interesting to learn about a medium that is extremely different from photography but also similar in many ways.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Life

Bracketing

Underexposure Normal Exposure Overexposure

Amalgamation

Below are my two versions of amalgamations based off of work from Nancy Burson. I ran in quite a few difficulties with these works. First, I'm brand new to photoshop and had a lot of trouble navigating through all the tools.  For my Nancy Burton style amalgamation, I really struggled with aligning the portraits on top of each other. Everyone's face structure is different and it's hard to make the facial features line up, specifically the eyes. I also struggled with choosing the right opacity. I didn't want one image to be stronger than the other because then you couldn't see features from all the portraits. For my free-style amalgamation, I had trouble cropping the images to fit all six portraits in the frame. I was also difficult to vertically align the heads. However, I'd say my photoshop skills have improved from this project. Free-style amalgamation Nancy Burson Amalgamation